Permit to Carry Out Works or Activities - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to carry out any works or other activities in relation to a place or item that is on the Victorian Heritage Register.

Works or activities that require a permit include anything which alters the place or object including:

  • building extensions, construction, interior works, demolition or relocation
  • change of colour schemes and signage
  • subdivision and construction of new buildings and garden structures such as fences, decks, pathways, driveways, and changes of materials
  • works to registered trees and gardens which are not regular maintenance works
  • excavations at registered sites or damage or alteration to an archaeological artefact
  • relocation, repair and conservation treatment of objects.

All applications must be made and approved before commencement of works.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

The owner has the final responsibility for obtaining necessary permits. Agents such as an architect, horticulturalist, archaeologist, property manager or project manager or a tenant may apply with the owner's written agreement, which must be provided to the Executive Director.

To obtain this permit, you must:

  • make a written application to the Executive Director describing in detail the works or activities to be carried out
  • include consent of owner form (if applicant not owner)
  • describe the impacts the works or activities will have on the cultural heritage significance of the place or object
  • provide schedule of the proposed works
  • provide drawings (plans, elevations and sections) setting out the proposed alterations
  • provide drawing and/or photographs showing existing conditions
  • pay the prescribed fee (unless waived).

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

The issue of this heritage permit is at the discretion of the Heritage Council and the decision may be appealed.

In addition to this permit you may also require a building permit and/or planning approval to undertake any building or development work. You must abide by any specific conditions placed on your permit relating to work or security arrangements.


As specified on the permit



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Please lodge your application form, and any other associated documents directly with the Heritage Council.

Approval time

Within 60 days. Major alterations and contentious matters require advertising for 14 days to enable interested parties to make submissions.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Heritage Victoria

Act(s) name

Heritage Act 1995 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Heritage (General) Regulations 2015 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Heritage Victoria


03 9208 6894


03 9412 4998


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.