Land Transfer Duty - Victoria

Service summary

You will need to pay land transfer duty if you buy property in Victoria. The amount payable depends on:
  • the value and purpose of the property
  • whether you are a foreign purchaser
  • whether any exemptions or concessions apply.

Land transfer duty is based on the greater value of either of the following at the point of entering the contract for sale:

  • the market value of the property
  • the price paid (including GST)..

Please consult the responsible agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


You must pay duty within 30 days of settlement or a penalty will be applied.



The rate of duty charged is on a sliding scale. Please contact the Agency for further information.



Land Transfer Duty Forms - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.



The Agency has a variety of payment options available.



It is common that your solicitor, conveyancer or bank will organise and pay for the duty on your behalf. Request a duty statement to confirm whether this has been done.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
State Revenue Office

Act(s) name

Duties Act 2000 (Victoria)

Contact details

General and Tax Enquiries
Department of Treasury and Finance
State Revenue Office

Operating address:
Level 2, 121 Exhibition Street
Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1641
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


13 21 61

Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.