Licence for a Vehicle to Transport Dangerous Goods - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to own a road vehicle (such as a truck or van) that is used to transport dangerous goods.

A vehicle must be licensed to transport dangerous goods if it carries either:

  • more than 500 kilograms of dangerous goods in a receptacle (container)
  • dangerous goods in a receptacle with a capacity of more than 500 litres.

Each vehicle needs to be licensed according to the class of dangerous goods carried. A vehicle licence is required for the transport of dangerous goods, such as in a tank vehicle, in demountable tanks, in intermediate bulk containers (IBCs) including pallet boxes or bulk bags, or for solid dangerous goods, in bins or hoppers on the vehicles.

Please note that a vehicle licence is not required for the transport of dangerous goods in IBCs if the IBCs are not filled or emptied while on the vehicle and the total capacity of IBCs containing dangerous goods on the vehicle is not more than 3000 litres.

The driver of the vehicle is required to hold a dangerous goods drivers licence.

Please note that if you intend to manufacture or design a bulk tank to be used for the transportation of dangerous goods, your design will need to be approved by the Agency.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

In order to be eligible for this licence you must:

  • ensure your vehicle is registered
  • ensure any tank forming part of your vehicle has a tank design approval number
  • ensure your vehicle is suitable to transport each relevant type of dangerous good
  • ensure your vehicle complies with the Australian Dangerous Goods Code
  • submit a properly completed application
  • pay the prescribed fees.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Up to 5 years.



Fees will vary depending on your activity. Please consult the responsible Agency for more information.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Act 1985 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods (Transport by Road or Rail) Regulations 2008 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Branch
Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Operating address:
222 Exhibition Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
PO BOX 4293
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


03 9641 1555


1800 136 089

Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.