Animal / Human Powered Vehicle Permit - Victoria

Service summary

You may require this permit if you intend to operate any type of human or animal powered cart or vehicle to transport passengers on a commercial basis. This permit applies to activities on both private property and public places.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Applications for pedicabs and horse-drawn carriages are sought through an expression of interest process. Horse drawn carriage permits are for five years and pedicab permits are for one year.

The next horse drawn carriage expression of interest process is due to be advertised in October 2016. Permits are issued for each carriage and must be displayed at the rear of the carriage. The council issues permits to operators who can demonstrate

  • Their horses are well-cared for
  • They have appropriate insurance;Manure bags are being used
  • They keep trading areas clean and tidy
  • A knowledge of the road rules.
Please consult the responsible council for more specific information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the permit.



Horse drawn carriage permit. Fees for 2016-17.


For all other permits, please consult the responsible council for specific information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Animal / Human Powered Vehicle Permit - Please contact the responsible council for application forms and registration details.



Please lodge in person or by mail to the Street Trading Officer at the Council.

Administering agency

City of Melbourne

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1989 (Victoria)

Local law(s) name

Activities Local Law 2009

Contact details

Street Trading
City of Melbourne


03 9658 9658


03 9658 9439

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.