Permit to Make Noise in a Public Place or Premises - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this permit if, in a public place, you intend to:

  • play a musical or noise-making instrument
  • allow an alarm to continue after ten minutes
  • play, control, operate or use a loudspeaker, amplifier, microphone, wireless receiving set or broadcasting set
  • sing, shout, spruik or give a proclamation, sermon, speech, or any other public address.

You will not require this permit for activities in any church, school, hall, theatre, market, auction room, licensed premises or sports ground which are conducted or undertaken with the approval of the occupier or persons responsible for the management of those premises.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To apply for a permit for non-amplified spruiking, you need to submit an application form.

To apply for a permit for amplified spruiking, you need to apply by letter, and address the following criteria guidelines:

  • Whether it is a permanent or temporary request;
  • The nature of amplified spruiking proposed - whether it entails a constant or loud harangue and is likely to cause complaints (supported by a complaint mitigation strategy);
  • Whether amplified spruiking at this site has achieved an iconic status; and
  • Whether there are other positive and distinctive features created by the spruiker.

Ongoing requirements

You will need to comply with the spruiking Code of Conduct.


As specified on the permit.



Please consult the responsible council for specific information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Apply Application for a Non-Amplified Spruiking Permit - PDF Opens a PDF in a new browser window

Application for an Amplified Spruiking Permit - Please contact the responsible council for application forms and registration details.

Other resources

Administering agency

City of Melbourne

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1989 (Victoria)

Local law(s) name

Activities Local Law 2009

Contact details

Street Trading
City of Melbourne


03 9658 9658


03 9658 9439

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.