Licence to Sell or Import Explosives - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to sell or import explosives. A single licence can authorise both the sale and import of explosives. However, licences can be obtained that authorise just sale or import.

A licence to sell explosives authorises the licence holder to store and transport explosives of the type the licence holder is authorised to sell, as long as the quantities stored and transported are less than the prescribed quantities for storage and transport under the Regulations. A licence holder who wishes to store or transport explosives above the prescribed quantities under the Regulations must also obtain the appropriate licences.

A licence to sell explosives is not required to sell cartridge ammunition, consumer fireworks, industrial safety cartridges or distress signals in consumer packages weighing less than 25 kg.

Explosives covered by this licence consist of any self-contained portable items of equipment of a reasonable size and volume designed to produce electric current for firing charges, and may include, but are not limited to, high explosives, detonating cords, safety fuses, detonators, propellants, boosters, and certain fireworks.

General requirements for sale of explosives:

  • Packaging must conform to the Australian Explosives Code requirements.
  • Explosives cannot be sold in a public place, such as a market or fair (with the exception of safety cartridges and general use fireworks).
Explosives do not refer to any safety or emergency system or device that is activated by explosives. Examples of such equipment are airbags, fire extinguishers, life rafts and passenger evacuation slides.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • provide all information required by the application form
  • be at least 18 years old if you are applying as an individual
  • satisfy suitable person criteria;Have awareness and knowledge of how explosives work, and appropriate use of them
  • comply with Australian standards and codes of practice
  • pay the prescribed fee.Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this approval that you abide by all industry legislation and codes of practice and any specific conditions on the approval. You must provide any relevant records and information as required by the authority, and you must notify the Authority of any licence detail changes in writing before the event. You must remain a suitable person to hold the licence and have the safety management system maintained.

Under the regulations, you can only sell explosives to a person who holds a licence authorising them to store, use, sell, transport or manufacture the same type of explosives that you are selling to them. You must not sell the explosives unless you are satisfied the customer will manage the explosives in accordance with the regulations. These requirements do not apply to the sale of:

  • Distress signals in a consumer package, cartridge ammunition, consumer fireworks or industrial safety cartridges
  • propellant or primers to a person who holds a firearms licence.
You must also keep records of each purchase or supply of explosives. This requirement does not apply to cartridge ammunition, consumer fireworks, industrial safety cartridges, and distress signals in a consumer package.
You must not sell or import explosives unless they are packaged and marked in accordance with the Australian Explosives Code.


Up to 5 years.


ApplyApplication$62.50Fees for 2016-17.
Renewal$62.50Fees for 2016-17.
Variation$21.88Fees for 2016-17.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Act 1985 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods (Explosives) Regulations 2011 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Branch
Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria





Website: Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.