Authorised Media Organisation - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this authorisation if you intend to use police-issued photographs of offenders in a publication. The first step is to make an application to be classified as an authorised media organisation.

Any person or body who engages in journalism can be classified as an authorised media organisation. Journalism is defined as collecting, preparing or disseminating news or current affairs (or opinion on news or current affairs) for the purpose of making it available to the public. Once registered as an authorised media organisation, applications are able to be made for the release of specific agency photographs from Victoria Police.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be considered for this authorisation, you must submit the form, processing fee, and all required attachments to the Agency.

Ongoing requirements

The approval of the authorisation is made strictly subject to any specified conditions.





Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted.

Administering agency

Victoria Police

Act(s) name

Police Regulation Act 1958 (Victoria)

Contact details

Victoria Police

Operating address:
Victoria Police Centre
637 Flinders Street
Docklands, Victoria 3008


03 9247 6666

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.