Licensing or Leasing Land in Alpine Resorts - Victoria

Service summary

You may require a lease or licence if you intend to use land in an Alpine resort area. This includes use of the land for the purposes of electricity generation and distribution.

Alpine resort areas are areas of Crown land (public land) in the Alpine region of Victoria which have been set aside for use as a resort. There are six alpine resort areas in Victoria:

  • Falls Creek;
  • Lake Mountain;
  • Mount Baw Baw;
  • Mount Buller;
  • Mount Hotham; and
  • Mount Stirling.

Each Alpine resort is managed by its own Resort Management Board.

Land can only be leased or licensed for purposes that are consistent with an Alpine resort areas status as a reserve.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the permit.



Please consult the specific Alpine Resort Management Board for details regarding fees.



Application for Licensing or Leasing Land in Alpine Resorts - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Other resources



Please consult directly with the relevant Alpine Resort Management Board.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Forestry and Land Use

Act(s) name

Alpine Resort (Management) Act 1997 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Alpine Resorts (Management) Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Forestry and Land Use

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne,Victoria,3002

Mailing address:
PO Box 500
East Melbourne,Victoria,3002


13 61 86


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.