Registration of Building Practitioners - Building Inspector - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this registration if you intend to operate as a building inspector. Building inspectors assist building surveyors, builders, contractors and owners by ensuring that construction projects meet building regulations and codes of practice. They review approved documentation and make on-site inspections during building work, checking that proper methods and materials are used. Inspection results are reported to the building surveyor.

There are two classes of registration:

  • Unlimited: Building inspectors (unlimited) are permitted to inspect all classes and components of buildings, and all varieties and types of construction.
  • Limited: Building inspectors (limited) are permitted to inspect certain classes of buildings only, which are determined by the agency during the assessment process.

You must register with the VBA eToolbox to access the required forms.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To obtain a certificate of registration as a Building Inspector you must:

  • have the specified educational qualifications in the particular class plus the specified period of practical experience, or the equivalent total in work experience
  • complete the application form and support the application with details of your training, professional memberships, business operations and in some categories, samples of work
  • satisfy the agency that you are of good character and fit to work as a building inspector (the Agency will take into account matters such as your criminal record, and whether you have previously been insolvent)
  • have appropriate insurance (required insurance for building inspectors is determined by the Agency)
  • provide a signed authorisation allowing the Agency to conduct a National Police Certificate check
  • lodge the application form and supporting copy documentation, including photographic ID, with the agency together with the prescribed fee.

Qualifications required:

  • Unlimited: Diploma qualification in building inspection and two years practical experience.
  • Limited: Diploma qualification in building inspection and two years practical experience or certification by the agency specifying particular classes and types of buildings or components of building work.

The Agency may require you to undergo an assessment by a board member, industry expert or workplace assessor prior to your registration being approved. The assessment will cover your knowledge and skill in areas relevant to the practice of a building inspector. Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

Ongoing registration is subject to satisfaction of specified requirements including industry training and standards compliance, as determined by the agency.





Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Building Inspector Registration - Please consult the responsible agency for more information.

Administering agency

Victorian Building Authority

Act(s) name

Building Act 1993 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Building Regulations 2006 (Victoria)

Contact details

Building Practitioners Board
Victorian Building Authority

Operating address:
Goods Shed North
733 Bourke Street
Docklands, Victoria 3008
Mailing address:
PO BOX 536
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


1300 815 127


03 9618 9046


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.