Permit to Ride a Snowmobile - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to use a snowmobile vehicle on any private or council land or reserve (unless the land has been designated for that purpose).

A snowmobile is any vehicle which is designed to be used solely on snow fields and has motor power of its own. It does not include snow ploughs, snow blowers or similar vehicles.

Other permits may apply to specific snow vehicles.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You must, as an operator, have a current drivers licence (excluding a learner's permit) and permit for use within Dinner Plains. The snow mobile must be registered and be covered by third party insurance. You must position the number plate to the vehicle so it is easily seen and read. Please refer to the council for details of any other requirements for this permit.

You must provide proof of a policy of insurance to the value of a least $5 million.


30 June next year or as described on the permit.



Fees for 2016-17.

Administering agency

Alpine Shire Council

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1989 (Victoria)

Local law(s) name

Dinner Plains Local Law 3 2011

Contact details

Local Laws Officer
Alpine Shire Council

Operating address:
Corner Churchill Avenue and Hawthorn Lane
Victoria 3741
Mailing address:
PO BOX 139
Bright, Victoria 3741


03 5755 0555


Alpine Shire Council Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.