Practising Certificate - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this certificate if you intend to practise as a lawyer. A lawyer is a person who is qualified and approved for admittance to legal practice in an Australian jurisdiction. In Victoria the practice of law has two branches:

  • Barristers who serve as specialist advocates and provide opinions and settle court documents
  • Solicitors who offer more general legal services that include the briefing and instructing of a barrister and organisation of a case for trial.

Local practising certificates can only be issued to an Australian lawyer. All new local legal practitioners must engage in supervised legal practice for a prescribed period of time.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

There are four types of local practising certificates:

  • Principal Practising Certificate
  • Employee Practising Certificate
  • Corporate Practising Certificate
  • Volunteer Practising Certificate.

To be eligible to practice you must possess a Bachelor of Law from an approved University and approved practical legal training. There are no registration requirements for interstate legal practitioners practising in Victoria but notification to the Agency of your commencement of practice is required within 28 days.

If you are currently licensed or registered elsewhere in Australia or New Zealand you may be eligible to apply for this licence under mutual recognition arrangements. Foreign lawyers need to register, but are only allowed to practice law within their overseas jurisdiction. Holders of foreign qualifications need to contact the council of legal education for an assessment of their qualifications.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this certificate that you abide by all industry legislation and codes of practice, and provide relevant information as required by the authority. You must notify the Agency of any changes to your registration, and abide by any conditions imposed by the agency.

The legal services board will send out a renewal form in April of each year. The renewal form needs to be completed and includes:

  • a basic overview of the lawyers current work and experience including Continuing Professional Development
  • a payment for registration.


This certificate is in force from the date specified until the end of the financial year in which it was granted.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Apply Legal Services Board Online Opens in a new browser window



To apply for a local practising certificate you must submit an application form approved by the Board. The form must be accompanied by:

  • The prescribed fee;
  • The approved statutory declaration; and
  • Evidence that the applicant is or will be covered by the required professional indemnity insurance.

Administering agency

Legal Services Board of Victoria

Act(s) name

Legal Profession Uniform Law Application Act 2014 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Legal Profession (Practising Certificate Fees) Regulations 2012 (Victoria)

Contact details

Legal Services Board of Victoria

Operating address:
Level 5 555 Bourke Street
Victoria 3000
Mailing address:
Melbourne, Victoria 3001

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.