Licence to Perform High Risk Work - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to perform high risk work. There are many types of work that are classed as high risk. Most involve using equipment or plant which has a risk of causing serious injury. Classes of high risk work include:

  • scaffolding, dogging or rigging work
  • operation of cranes
  • operation of a fork-lift truck
  • operation of boilers and other pressure equipment
  • use of hoists
  • operation of concrete placing booms or boom-type elevating work platforms.

A high risk work licence will be required by many workers in industries such as construction, mining, primary production and forestry.

An unlicensed trainee may undertake high risk work under the direct supervision of a holder of the relevant high risk work licence. A person performing high risk work solely for the purpose of testing, installing, maintaining or repairing plant does not require a licence. Other exemptions may apply.

Mutual recognition of your licence may be available, enabling you to work in other States and Territories. Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

New applicants need to contact an authorised licence assessor and complete a practical test (a list is available directly from the Agency). You will need to demonstrate the required standards for competency and safe operation of the plant or equipment. If you pass the test, you will then need to fill in an application form, attaching proof of your completed assessment.

To be eligible for a licence you must also:

  • provide proof of identification
  • be at least 18 years old
  • reside in Victoria or have good reasons for applying for a licence in Victoria
  • show that all required training has been completed
  • show that all competency assessments have been completed that are required for the class of work during your assessment
  • pay any prescribed fees.

If you hold a licence in another State or Territory, and intend to conduct the work in Victoria your licensing status will be recognised under the mutual recognition system.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


You will need to renew your licence every five years.



Per notice of assessment. Fees for 2016-17.

RenewDuplicate Certificate$45.00

Fees for 2016-17.


Fees for 2016-17.


Vary Application for a Exemption - PDF Opens a PDF in a new browser window

Application for a Licence to Perform High Risk Work - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.



After being assessed you are required to submit your application at a participating Australia Post outlet. You will need to attach:

  • The original green copy of the Notice of Assessment;
  • A passport size photo - additional to the one given to the Assessor;
  • Your original proof of identity documents - 100 points;
  • Your existing Certificate(s) or Licence to Perform High Risk Work (this will be returned after being checked by an Australia Post Customer Service Officer); and
  • The required application fee.


You can use this form to apply for an exemption from complying with the Occupational health and Safety Regulations 2007.

Any duty holder applying for an exemption must provide evidence to demonstrate that equivalent safety can be achieved (i.e. to at least the health and safety level equivalent to observance of the relevant provision(s).

Approval time

45 days.

Administering agency

Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria

Act(s) name

Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Branch
Department of Treasury and Finance
WorkSafe Victoria


1300 852 562


1800 060 727


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.