Restricted Electrical Workers Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to carry out low voltage electrical installation work relating to equipment, that is connected to a fixed electrical installation, associated with your primary trade, vocation or calling (occupation) that would otherwise require the services of a registered electrical contractor or a licensed electrician.

This licence applies to people primarily engaged in a work function that relates to a type of low voltage electrical equipment specified in the following classes of work function:

  • office equipment
  • domestic equipment
  • plumbing / gas fitting equipment
  • commercial equipment
  • industrial equipment
  • refrigeration and air conditioning equipment
  • instrumentation / process control equipment
  • communications / computing equipment
  • laboratory / scientific equipment.

The work must involve electrical installation work that is incidental to the primary work function.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

If you are employed (and not currently an apprentice or trainee) in an occupation where there is a need to be able to disconnect and reconnect equipment connected to the fixed electrical installation or components of equipment, then you may be eligible. Plumbers, mechanical fitters, refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanics, etc may apply for this type of licence.

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • Be employed in a relevant field;
  • Provide a Letter from your employer describing in detail the type of work and equipment where replacement work is required;
  • Hold the required qualification and completed any required training;
  • Submit all documentation required; and
  • Pay the relevant fee.

If you are self-employed you should submit your application form and fee with a written submission describing the type of electrical equipment you use and stating the requirement for a Disconnect/Reconnect Worker's License to perform electrical work which is incidental to your primary function.

Please refer to the application form for particular details relevant to your requirements.

Ongoing requirements

As a license holder, it is your responsibility to carry out any electrical disconnect and reconnect work in accordance with the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules (AS/NZS 3000) and any other relevant standard, electrically test the completed work, certify the work complies with the legislation and regulations and issue a certificate of electrical safety to the person for whom you completed the work.


5 years.



Five year licence, includes $70 non-refundable fee. Fees for 2016-17.


Fees for 2016-17.



Along with your application you must submit a supporting letter from your employer, all documents to prove that you are competent in your trade, and the application fee.

Administering agency

Energy Safe Victoria

Act(s) name

Electricity Safety Act 1998 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Electricity Safety (Installations) Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Section
Energy Safe Victoria

Operating address:
Level 5, Building 2
4 Riverside Quay
Southbank Victoria 3006
Mailing address:
PO Box 262
Collins Street West Victoria 8007


1800 815 721

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.