Game Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to hunt game in Victoria. Animals that have been declared to be game in Victoria include species of duck, deer, quail, pheasants and partridges. A number of licence types are available, depending on the requirements of the individual hunter.

A game licence must be endorsed for the appropriate type(s) of game that you intend to hunt and only permits you to hunt game in Victoria. Your game licence will also specify the type of weapon you are authorised to use to hunt. If hunting with a hound, it must be registered with the Secretary and implanted with a prescribed permanent identification device.

A game licence authorises you to hunt in State Wildlife Reserves that are classified as State Game Reserves only. It is illegal to hunt animals in any other State Wildlife Reserves without special authorisation of the Agency.

Please note that it is prohibited to take some species of duck.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • complete and submit an application form
  • be a fit and proper person and of good character
  • provide details of any convictions for offences under relevant legislation during the 10 years preceding your application
  • comply with any conditions, limitations, restriction that may be specified
  • pay any required fees.

Before you can hunt game birds including duck, you need to pass the Waterfowl Identification Test. This test ensures that only those hunters able to demonstrate adequate identification skills are permitted to hunt ducks in Victoria.

Before you can hunt Sambar deer with hounds, you need to pass the Hound Hunting Test. This test is designed to ensure that hunters using scent-trailing hounds to hunt Sambar Deer are aware of their legal, ethical and safety requirements when hunting.

To possess, use or carry a firearm in Victoria, you must hold and carry a current Firearms Licence issued by Victoria Police or any equivalent current interstate Firearms Licence. In addition, all firearms must be registered. This includes all shotguns and rifles.

Certain types of firearms and shot are prohibited for the hunting of certain game. Restrictions may also be placed on the hunting methods that can be used. Certain species can only be hunted through approved hunting methods.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Ongoing requirements

There are limits on the number of animals that are allowed to be taken each day as well as limits on times that you may hunt.


Generally three years, but may be issued for one year if required.



Fees will vary according to licence. Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted.



You may obtain or renew your Game Licence at any agency office throughout Victoria.

Approval time

Approximately three weeks, however, delays may occur during peak periods.

Administering agency

Game Management Authority

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife (Game) Regulations 2012 (Victoria)

Contact details

Game Management Authority

Mailing address:
GPO BOX 4509
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Mailing address:
1 Spring Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000


13 61 86


03 9092 1947

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.