Permit to Place Signs - Victoria

Service summary

You will require a Planning Permit if you intend to erect, display or remove an advertising sign on a road or footpath (for example, A-Frame, temporary or moveable signs). Please note that the maximum number of signs allowed per premise is two.

For further information please consult the Contact Officer.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

In order to be eligible for this permit you must:

  • Submit a Planning Permit Application;
  • Have adequate public liability insurance ($10 million minimum); and
  • Be willing to abide by the council's requirements (such as size and construction material).

You may not require this permit if you are advertising a garage sale, auction, business, community group or charitable organisation if you abide by certain conditions. Please consult the Contact Officer for further information.


As specified on the permit.



A-Frame. Fees for 2016-17.

RenewRenewal$16.00A-Frame. Fees for 2016-17.



Permit to Place Signs - Please contact the responsible council for application forms and registration details.

Administering agency

Benalla Rural City Council

Act(s) name

Local Government Act 1989 (Victoria)

Local law(s) name

Community Local Law 2009

Contact details

Local Law Team
Benalla Rural City Council

Operating address:
1 Bridge Street East
Benalla, Victoria 3672
Mailing address:
PO BOX 227
Benalla, Victoria 3672


03 5760 2600


03 5762 5537


Benalla Rural City Council Opens in a new browser window


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.