Noxious Aquatic Species (NAS) Permit - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to undertake any of the following activities with any noxious aquatic species:

  • Import into Victoria;
  • Take;
  • Hatch;
  • Keep or possess;
  • Sell;
  • Transport;
  • Put into any container; or
  • Release into protected waters (meaning all Victorian waters, any aquarium and/or hatchery).

The species listed as NAS under the Act are only deemed 'noxious' if they are in live form.

The issue of NAS permits will be based on the level of risk posed by the proposed activity and whether the risks created by the activity can adequately be managed through permit conditions. Activities that require a NAS permit include:

  • Commercial harvest of NAS, including NAS broodstock for the purposes of aquaculture;
  • Hatching, breeding, rearing and growing NAS in conjunction with an aquaculture licence;
  • Private ornamental display purposes (permitted only in exceptional circumstances);
  • Research purposes;
  • Public display of NAS in a museum, zoo or aquarium;
  • Public or private education institution purposes (by skilled professional not students);
  • Human consumption of NAS (restricted to restaurants/caterers);
  • Eradication of NAS from the wild programs; and
  • Dredging operations that may result in the incidental take and release of NAS.

This permit is not renewable but the Secretary may issue another permit when the old permit is about to expire.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must pay any fees and make an application to the Secretary of the Agency, who must be satisfied that you meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • You are fit and proper person to carry out the activities for which the permit is sought (permit may be refused if you have been convicted of an offence under prescribed legislation);
  • You have the competency and knowledge to undertake the activities for which the permit is sought; and
  • You will be the person directing the undertaking of the activities for which the permit is sought.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

Standard requirements for holding a NAS permit include:

  • Biosecure holding facility and operations at all times;
  • Disposal of water that comes into contact with the NAS must not pose a biosecurity risk; and
  • When no longer required, NAS must be euthanized and disposed of in accordance with the relevant legislation.

Additional requirements may also be specified on the permit for particular activities.


A permit may be issued for a maximum of three years as determined by the Secretary.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.

Other resources



Please lodge your application form, fees and any other associated documents directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Fisheries Division

Act(s) name

Fisheries Act 1995 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Fisheries Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Unit
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Fisheries Division

Mailing address:
General Post Office Box 4509


03 83926860


03 96584333

Website: Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.