Tour Operator Licence - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to offer commercial tours or recreational activities on public land. Public land includes national parks and state forests, as well as marine areas, wildlife areas, crown lands and any other land managed by a government agency.

It is illegal to conduct an organised tour or recreational activity for profit on public land without holding a tour operator licence. This applies to all tour operators and activity providers, whether they be one person operations or large companies.

Examples of recreation activities include:

  • bush-walking
  • trail bike touring
  • horse riding
  • canoeing
  • rock climbing
  • river rafting
  • abseiling.

Please note that in some instances, non-profit organisations may be required to possess a Tour Operator Licence.

A permit may also be required to camp or occupy a building or other facility in a national park.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • have adequate public liability insurance with an insurer approved by the agency (at least $10 million)
  • ensure your tour guides have a current first aid qualification (the minimum standard requirement is St Johns Level 2 Basic First Aid or equivalent)
  • ensure procedures are in place to minimise the risk of potential hazards to clients
  • include the following with your application: completed application form, current public liability insurance, and payment issued on the basis that the licence holder maintains an appropriate public liability insurance policy with an insurer approved by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA).

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Ongoing requirements

You will be required to comply with all relevant legislation, standards and Codes of Practice, including relevant Adventure Activity Standards.

You will also need to ensure that you comply with the requirement to possess any other relevant permits or authorities - these will depend on the particular activity you intend to undertake.


A period not exceeding 10 years.


30 June.



One year. Fees for 2016-17.


Ten year licence (one year fee). Fees for 2016-17


Three year licence (one year fee). Fees for 2016-17.

Application$2,270.00Ten year licence (ten year fee). Fees for 2016-17.
Application$681.00Three year licence (three year fee) Fees for 2016-17.



You will need to lodge your application and fee directly with the Agency. Prior to submitting your form you should discuss your application with the Contact Officer. You will need to attach to your application:

  • Maps detailing your tour route (if necessary);
  • A certificate of currency for your insurance policy; and
  • Any other relevant documents as requested by the Agency.

Approval time

Five weeks.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Parks Victoria

Act(s) name

Forests Act 1958 (Victoria)

National Parks Act 1975 (Victoria)

Wildlife Act 1975 (Victoria)

Land Act 1958 (Victoria)

Crown Land (Reserves) Act 1978 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

National Parks (Tour Operator Licence Fee) Regulations 2011 (Victoria)

Contact details

Information Centre
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Parks Victoria


03 8627 4700


03 9629 5563

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.