Vehicle Trade Plates - Victoria

Service summary

You will require vehicle trade plates if you intend to operate a business that involves the handling or use of unregistered vehicles or trailers. Businesses that may require vehicle trade plates include:

  • motor vehicle dealers
  • vehicle manufacturers
  • licensed vehicle testers
  • fleet managers
  • vehicle transporters.

Trade plates are special identifying plates that are attached to the rear of unregistered vehicles or trailers to permit them to be driven for certain approved purposes. For example, taking an unregistered vehicle for a test drive.

If your application is approved, you will be issued with a number known as a General Identification Mark and supplied with a trade plate bearing that number (one or more plates can be issued for each General Identification Mark, subject to limits imposed by the agency). Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible to have a vehicle trade plate assigned, you must:

  • be a manufacturer, tester, dealer, fleet owner or person engaged in the business of selling, modifying, repairing, altering or transporting vehicles before first registration
  • comply with the conditions subject to your appropriate qualifications
  • provide evidence to show that any applicable transport accident charge (TAC) has been paid for each trade plate
  • supply all the information required by the agency
  • pay the relevant fee.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information.

Ongoing requirements

It is an ongoing requirement of this assignment that you must keep a record in a form approved by the agency that sets out the name and address of each person who uses a vehicle on which the general identification mark is displayed.


One year.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.




You must lodge your application in the approved form accompanied by proof of eligibility and the required fee.

Administering agency

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Act(s) name

Road Safety Act 1986 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Operating address:
PO BOX 1644
Melbourne, Victoria 3001
Operating address:
60 Denmark Street
Victoria 3101


13 11 71


03 8391 3216

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.