You will require this licence if you intend to operate an animal registry service. An animal registry service maintains and keeps records of cats, horses and dogs. This licence applies to animal registries containing identifying information about the animal that is referenced to a microchip implanted in the animal. This does not apply to animal registries that are maintained by local councils.
Whenever a veterinarian, or other authorised person, implants a microchip in a cat, horse or dog, the information must be provided to a licensed animal registry service within two days.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence you must:
- provide details of the corporation or individual, contact info and ABN
- provide details of the bank security or storage facility in which copies of records are to be kept
- have acceptable technical and financial capacity to provide an animal registry service in compliance with the requirements of current legislation
- be a suitable person to provide a domestic animal registry service
- have adequate insurance
- be willing to undertake a national police check
- submit the required form and fees.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
There are numerous conditions of licence and legislative requirements which licensed registries comply with, such as:
- details of microchip and prescribed identifying information must be placed on the registry within four days of receipt provided all information is received from the authorised implanter and required fee is paid
- owner of animal must be provided with a certificate of identification which includes details of how to change contact information or ownership
- records must be maintained for life of animal or 30 years
- 24 hour access must be provided for the purpose of reuniting individual animals with owners
- licensed registries must communicate with each other to ascertain animal ownership if details not on their registry
- there must be verification of microchip numbers to ensure uniqueness
- maintenance of all records including a separate backup, updated at least monthly
- compliance with all current state and federal legislation relating to animal welfare.
As specified on the licence, but for no longer than three years.
Fees for 2015-16.
|Renewal||$1,037.70||Fees for 2015-16.
Application for Animal Registry Licence - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.
Please lodge your application and supporting documentation directly with the Agency.
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources
Domestic Animals Act 1994 (Victoria)
Domestic Animals Regulations 2015 (Victoria)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon