Permission to Use Wildlife in TV, Films or Theatre - Victoria

Service summary

You will require written permission if you wish to use wildlife in a production. A production is in TV, film productions, advertisements or in theatrical performances. The wildlife used can be living or dead, or parts of wildlife.

Licensed Wildlife Displayers, Demonstrators and Taxidermists are allowed to provide wildlife for this purpose but must obtain the permission of the Agency beforehand and allow 6-8 weeks for processing.

Permission is not required if the wildlife is filmed in the wild and is not confined, controlled or manipulated in any way.

Wildlife must not be taken from the wild for this purpose. If the filming is taking place in a National Park, then permission must be obtained from Parks Victoria.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Any proposed use of wildlife in TV, film or theatre must have a conservation theme and promote the welfare of animals.

The application must be made by the holder of a current Wildlife Demonstrator Licence, Wildlife Displayer Licence or Wildlife Taxidermist Licence.


Ongoing requirements

You must also comply with all requirements of any relevant code of practice.



Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 (Victoria)

Contact details

Wildlife and Game Licensing
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
PO BOX 500
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002


13 61 86


03 9637 8475

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.