Off-Label Use of Chemical Products Permit - Victoria

Service summary

This permit allows the use of a chemical in a restricted manner outside of its designated use: the application of agricultural or veterinary chemicals in a way not specified exactly on the product label. Off-label use is not illegal in Victoria within certain limits but is not recommended by the Agency and is not included within a manufacturer's warranty.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must:

  • submit an application form
  • be an approved veterinarian or chemical user
  • provide information regarding the reason for the off-use request
  • provide location of proposed agricultural chemical use
  • have the required training, experience and qualifications
  • have a clear criminal record for the last 10 years
  • pay the prescribed fee.

A risk assessment of the proposed off-label use will be carried out to ensure negative impacts arising from the off-label use are avoided.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.

Ongoing requirements

All aspects of off-label use are the user's responsibility, including residue controls, environmental safeguards, occupational health and safety, and animal welfare.

In cases where a chemical is used off-label, the agency recommends that growers confirm the residue status of their produce through pre-harvest residue testing. The presence of unacceptable residues in produce can have significant consequence for growers, packers, and sometimes whole agricultural industries.

Location-based, record keeping, and other requirements may apply.


As specified on the permit.



Fees for 2016-17.


Fee exemptions may apply in the circumstances described on the application form.

VaryDuplicate Certificate$278.80

Fees for 2016-17.

RenewRenewal$278.80Fees for 2016-17.



Please lodge your application form and any other associated documents directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Act(s) name

Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (Control of Use) Act 1992 (Victoria)

Contact details

Project Officer Licensing
Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources

Mailing address:
PO Box 2500


13 61 86


03 5430 4505

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.