Registration of Building Practitioners - Commercial Builder - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this registration if you intend to operate as a Commercial Builder.

Commercial Builders are responsible for the construction of shops, offices, factories and other buildings. They also examine clients' plans and documents, tender for projects, submit plans to a Building Surveyor for approval and organise inspections of building work.

There are two classes of Commercial Builder registration:

  • Unlimited: a Commercial Builder (unlimited) may perform, manage and arrange any commercial building work.
  • Limited: a Commercial Builder (limited) may perform only the components of building work specified on their certificate of registration.

A Commercial Builder (limited) may apply for registration in one or more of the following classes:

  • blinds and awnings: erecting external blinds and awnings
  • damp-proofing: repairing buildings damaged by damp, including replacing rotten timber
  • fitout - non-structural: includes internal partitions, counters (freestanding), suspended ceilings and fire sprinkler systems, replacing non-load bearing structures.
  • fitout - structural: alterations to shop fronts, internal works, load bearing structures and fixtures
  • greenhouse: erecting commercial greenhouses
  • low rise: work up to 15 metres, excavations up to three metres and cellars and basements to 2.5 metres, all building work including non-structural
  • re-stumping: re-stumping, re-blocking, repairs to flooring, plaster and roof material damaged by re-blocking
  • shade structures: includes erecting shade structures, advising clients on building materials, specifications, and construction methods; complying with all planning, building legislation and preparation of permit applications;
  • sign erection: signs attached to buildings or freestanding signs on a building site; lighting poles over eight metres
  • steel erection: steel frames, piers, foundations and external cladding
  • structural landscaping: fences, pergolas, gazebos, retaining walls, ornamental structures, site preparation and landscape paving, landform structures requiring fabricated internal support
  • underpinning: underpinning existing structures and associated works
  • waterproofing: the use of waterproofing membranes to the interior, exterior, below ground and remedial areas of a building.

You must register with the VBA eToolbox to access the required forms.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To obtain a certificate of registration as a Commercial Builder you must:

  • have the specified educational qualifications in the particular class plus the specified period of practical experience, or the equivalent total in work experience
  • complete the application form and support the application with details of your training, professional memberships, business operations and in some categories, samples of work
  • generally satisfy the agency that you are of good character and fit to work as a commercial builder (the Agency will take into account matters such as your criminal record, and whether you have previously been insolvent)
  • have appropriate insurance (required insurance for building surveyors is determined by the Agency)
  • provide a signed authorisation allowing the Agency to conduct a National Police Certificate check
  • lodge the application form and supporting copy documentation, including photographic ID, with the agency together with the prescribed fee.

You will also require one of the following:

  • Unlimited: Degree, Diploma or Associate Diploma in building and three years practical experience or certificate of successful completion of the Course in Builder Registration (BPB) and three years practical experience.
  • Limited: certification by the Building Practitioners Board stating ability to construct the components of building work specified in the certificate.

The Agency may require you to undergo an assessment by a board member, industry expert or workplace assessor prior to your registration being approved. The assessment will cover your knowledge and skill in areas relevant to the practice of a commercial builder.

Ongoing requirements

Ongoing registration is subject to satisfaction of specified requirements including industry training and standards compliance, as determined by the agency.





Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Commercial Builder Registration Application - Please consult the responsible agency for more information.

Other resources


Commercial Builder Information Sheet - Please contact the responsible agency for application forms and registration details.

Administering agency

Victorian Building Authority

Act(s) name

Building Act 1993 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Building Regulations 2006 (Victoria)

Contact details

Building Practitioners Board
Victorian Building Authority

Operating address:
Goods Shed North
733 Bourke Street
Docklands, Victoria 3008
Mailing address:
PO BOX 536
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


1300 815 127


03 9618 9046


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.