BYO Permit - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this permit if you operate a restaurant, club or party bus and you intend to allow customers to consume their own alcohol on the premises.

Unlike a liquor licence, a BYO permit does not allow you to supply alcohol to your customers. If you supply your customers with alcohol, you will need a liquor licence.

A BYO permit is only available to restaurants, clubs and party buses. Any bus that is operated or hired out commercially, and is pre-booked for passengers is classified as a party bus.

Supplying alcohol (including BYO service) is prohibited on ANZAC day between the hours of 3am and 12noon.

Please consult the responsible agency for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • be a suitable person to hold a BYO Permit
  • not be disqualified from holding a liquor licence or BYO permit
  • pay the required fees
  • submit the required form.

You must make an application to the agency by completing the application kit. Please consult the responsible agency for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Ongoing requirements

Any variation, relocation, transfer or surrender of a BYO Permit must be approved and endorsed by the Director of Liquor Licensing.

Ongoing requirements include:

  • compliance with the applicable planning scheme
  • if the permit is held by a corporation or other organisation, all directors must be approved by the agency
  • compliance with permit conditions.

Failure to comply may result in the permit being suspended or cancelled.


12 months or from date granted until end of that calendar year.


31 December each year.



Fees for 2017-18.


Please consult the responsible agency for information on fees to be submitted with your application.


Fees for 2017-18.


Fees for 2017-18.



Please submit your application together with all specified accompanying documentation referred to in the application kit directly with the Agency. Once an application is received, and relevant checks and inquiries completed, a decision will be made by the Director of Liquor Licensing to either grant or refuse the application.

In most cases the Director will impose conditions upon the licence. The time taken to process an application will vary according to individual circumstances.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Act(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Act 1998 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Control Reform Regulations 2009 (Victoria)

Contact details

Licensing Officer
Department of Justice and Regulation
Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation

Operating address:
49 Elizabeth Street
Victoria 3121
Mailing address:
GPO BOX 1988
Melbourne, Victoria 3001


1300 182 457


03 9651 3777


Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.