You will require this registration if you intend to operate in the electrical contracting business or offer to contract an electrical service. There are 3 types of registration available:
- Sole Trader
To be accepted for this registration, you must be a technical or business nominee/supervisor or have relevant business and management experience with appropriate qualifications.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
You will be exempt from requiring this registration if:
- you are a company employing licensed electrical contractors on a continuous basis solely for work on your premises site
- you are a subcontractor for a registered electrical contractor
- you hold a Disconnect / Reconnect Licence that allows for the undertaking of electrical work
- you hold an Occupier's Licence that allows for the undertaking of electrical work.
Please consult the responsible agency for more information.
To be eligible for this registration, you must:
- hold a current Electricians Licence (A Class) or ensure a member of your partnership or corporation holds such a licence
- have completed the appropriate qualifications and training
- have a technical nominee
- have a business nominee
- have a minimum of $5 million civil liability insurance
- submit all the required paperwork
- pay the relevant fee.
Exemptions may apply. Please refer to the Agency and their website for details.
It is an ongoing requirement of this licence that you comply with any conditions or obligations issued by the Agency. It is your responsibility to ensure that:
- certificates of Electrical Safety are issued and completed
- workers which hold supervisory licences are suitably supervised throughout the course of their duties
- details of your technical and business nominees and all licensed workers remain current.
Up to 5 years.
Five year registration, includes a $70 application fee. Fees for 2016-17.
Fees for 2016-17.
You must ensure that you submit all the required documentation along with your application form. The required documentation will vary with the type of licence applied for.
Electricity Safety Act 1998 (Victoria)
Electricity Safety (Installations) Regulations 2009 (Victoria)
Electricity Safety (Registration & Licensing) Regulations 2010 (Victoria)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon