Wildlife Import and Export Permit - Victoria

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to either import or export wildlife, or wildlife products, to or from Victoria and another State or Territory of Australia. Wildlife includes birds, reptiles, amphibians and mammals that are native to Australia or a particular region within Australia, as well as certain non-indigenous animals such as deer, quail, pheasants and partridges.

A permit is not required for the following types of wildlife and wildlife products:

  • king quail, non-indigenous quail, all pheasants, budgerigar, zebra finch, cockatiel, Bourkes parrot
  • deer (fallow, chital, hog, rusa, sambar, red and wapiti)
  • cast or shed feathers, sloughed skins of reptiles, or cast antlers of deer
  • processed shells of eggs of emus
  • legally sourced and processed dead game.

This includes parts of the following animals:

  • Common Brushtail Possum
  • Western Grey Kangaroo
  • Eastern Grey Kangaroo\
  • Whiptail Wallaby
  • Common Wallaroo
  • Red-necked Wallaby
  • Red Kangaroo
  • Rufous-bellied Pademelon
  • Freshwater or Saltwater Crocodile
  • Emu.

Import and export of the following are prohibited (even with a permit):

  • mammals that are not fully weaned
  • flightless birds under 4 weeks old, and birds that are too young to fly
  • diseased, sick or injured wildlife
  • eggs.

Wildlife laws vary between each state and territory, therefore it is strongly recommended that you contact the relevant interstate authority for requirements on keeping of wildlife.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Each item of wildlife covered by the application must:

  • have been lawfully obtained and kept
  • be able to be lawfully moved to or from the other State or Territory
  • not pose a risk to health or safety of people or livestock, or harm the conservation of protected wildlife
  • not adversely affect the population in the wild if it is exported.

You must also ensure that no person involved in your import or export operations is disqualified or suspended from holding a licence, permit or authority under the wildlife legislation.

Ongoing requirements

It is a condition of this permit that upon completion of the transaction, you provide, in writing, details of the wildlife received or consigned. This must be lodged with the Wildlife and Game Licensing Service within seven working days of the completion of the transaction.

Any wildlife, once imported, must be kept at the premises specified in the wildlife licence or permit under which it is kept in Victoria. In the case of wildlife being exported, it must remain at the premises specified in the wildlife licence or permit under which it is kept in Victoria until its export interstate is approved and you have received the export permit.


One month or at the end of the consignment, whichever occurs first.



Please consult the responsible agency for further information on fees to be submitted with your application.



Lodge your application form and any associated documents directly with the agency.

Approval time

Allow at least five working days.

Administering agency

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Act(s) name

Wildlife Act 1975 (Victoria)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Regulations 2013 (Victoria)

Contact details

Wildlife and Game Licensing
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning
Plants and Animals

Operating address:
8 Nicholson Street
East Melbourne, Victoria 3002
Mailing address:
PO Box 500
East Melbourne,Victoria,3002


13 61 86


03 9637 8475

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.