Special Purpose Consent (Offshore Minerals) - Western Australia

Service summary

You may require this licence if you intend to explore for minerals in offshore areas of Western Australia.

Western Australia's offshore area extends three nautical miles out from the coastal baseline. If you intend to undertake activities beyond this area, you will need to apply for a Commonwealth licence.

A special purpose consent authorises you to explore for minerals and take samples of or recover minerals for any of the following purposes:

  • A scientific investigation;
  • A reconnaissance survey; or
  • The collection of small amounts of minerals.

A reconnaissance survey is the exploration of an area to work out whether the area is sufficiently promising to justify more detailed exploration under an exploration licence.

A special purpose consent may be granted over a standard block, reserved block or tender block, even if the block if the area is already subject to a licence of another consent. A consent is different from an offshore exploration, mining or retention licence, as it does not give you any exclusive rights over an area, nor does it give you any preference in applications for licences over the area.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Provide details of the activities you intend to undertake;
  • Specify the blocks for which the consent is being sought;
  • Specify the quantity and type of any mineral you propose to recover;
  • Submit the relevant form; and
  • Pay the required fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Up to twelve months.





Special Purpose Consent Application Form - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.

Administering agency

Department of Mines and Petroleum
Minerals and Mining

Act(s) name

Offshore Minerals Act 2003 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Offshore Minerals Regulations 2010 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Enquiries, General Tenement
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Minerals and Mining

Operating address:
First Floor, Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth
Western Australia 6004


08 92223626


08 92223444

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.