You will require this certificate if you intend to operate a small retail business beyond normal shopping hours. This certificate will authorise you to trade 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Your shop is a small retail shop if:
- It is owned by up to six people who are actively involved in running the shop;
- It is owned by people who operate no more than four retail shops in total;
- No more than 25 people work in the shop at any one time (people employed as apprentices are not included in maximum permitted staffing numbers);
- It does not sell motor vehicles; and
- It is not a petrol station.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
You will not require this certificate to trade outside normal trading hours if your business is:
- Located north of the 26th
- A restaurant or cafe
- A take-away food shop
- A veterinary clinic
- A transport terminal or
station where public passenger transport services are running
- Part of a show held by an
incorporated agricultural or horticultural society
- Part of a bazaar or fair the
proceeds of which are intended for religious, charitable or public
- A retail shop located in a short-term market.
consult the Contact Officer for more information.
To be eligible for this certificate you must:
- Be the owners of the shop;
- Ensure that your shop is a small retail shop; and
- Submit the required form.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
No fees are required.
Department of Commerce
Retail Trading Hours Act 1987 (Western Australia)
Retail Trading Hours Regulations 1988 (Western Australia)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon