Explosives Storage Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to store authorised explosives, whether at a mine site or other premise. Authorised explosives are explosives that have been deemed as being fit for the purpose of damaging, destroying or demolishing anything.

You will not require this licence for certain explosives including sparklers, emergency and safety devices, ammunition, and model rocket motors. You will also not require this licence if you hold a fireworks licence, shotfiring licence, or pyrotechnics licence, and your storage activities are authorised by your licence.

If you intend to store an unauthorised explosive you will instead need to hold a test permit. Special provisions apply to dangerous goods sites that are classified as major hazards facilities (MHF). Please note that the Agency recommends the use of an accredited dangerous goods consultant to prepare and submit your application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be 18 years of age or over
  • hold a current Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card
  • demonstrate the ability to conduct a business that involves the storage and handling of explosives
  • have developed and be able to apply an Explosives Management Plan, including a security plan
  • show that you have site operation, storage and handling and emergency plans in place
  • submit the required forms and accompanying documentation
  • pay the required fee.

An application by a body corporate or a partnership must nominate an authorised person who will be responsible for the safety and security of the explosives possessed under the licence. That person must possess a current Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card and be someone who is involved in the management of, or employed by, the body or partnership.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.



For less than 1 tonne of explosives: $108; 1 to 5 tonnes of explosives: $129; More than 5 tonnes of explosives: $346.

Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Resources Safety

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Dangerous Goods Licensing
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Resources Safety

Operating address:
Level 2
1 Adelaide Terrace
East Perth, Western Australia 6004
Mailing address:
Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth,Western Australia,6004


08 9358 8001


Dangerous Goods Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.