Explosives Import / Export Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to import an authorised explosive to Western Australia from a country outside Australia, or if you intend to export an authorised explosive from Western Australia to a country outside Australia.

This licence will enable you to import and / or export explosives, and supply explosives to others who are authorised to possess the explosives. It does not allow you to transport use, store or manufacture explosives for these activities. You will need additional authorisations to transport, use, store or manufacture explosives.

A licence is not required for the movement of explosives between Western Australia and other States and Territories in Australia. If you intend to import or export an unauthorised explosive you must obtain a test permit.

Please note that the Agency recommends the use of an accredited dangerous goods consultant to prepare and submit your application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • be 18 years of age or over
  • hold a current Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card (DGSC)
  • have a legitimate reason for handling the explosives
  • demonstrate a satisfactory level of experience, knowledge and competency in the safe handling, storage and security of the explosives
  • have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of explosives
  • ensure people who will have unsupervised access to the explosives possess a DGSC and are authorised as secure employees
  • ensure that only people authorised under the explosives regulations are supplied with explosives
  • submit the required application form
  • pay the relevant fee.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.



Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Resources Safety

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Dangerous Goods Licensing
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Resources Safety

Operating address:
Level 2
1 Adelaide Terrace
East Perth, Western Australia 6004
Mailing address:
Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth,Western Australia,6004


08 9358 8001


Dangerous Goods Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.