Licence to Breed and Keep Avian Fauna (Avicultural Licence) - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to keep or breed birds in captivity for hobby purposes. There are two classes of licence:

  • avicultural licence
  • advanced avicultural licence.

An avicultural licence is required to keep relatively common and easy to keep birds. An advanced avicultural licence is required to keep birds that are difficult to keep and breed or are uncommon or threatened in the wild.

An alternative permit may be required to keep certain exotic species of birds which are agricultural pests. Please consult the Contact Officer for further information on this licence and on which species are common or threatened.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • provide details of any relevant convictions relating to wildlife
  • submit any required forms
  • pay any required fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


12 months.



Standard licence


Advance licence

Administering agency

Department of Parks and Wildlife

Act(s) name

Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Enquiries - Avian/Birds, Displaying Fauna, Wildlife Licensing Section
Department of Parks and Wildlife

Mailing address:
Locked Bag 30
Bentley Delivery Centre
Western Australia 6983


08 9219 9835


08 9219 8242

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.