Tradesperson's Licence (Drainage Plumbing) - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to carry out drainage plumbing work but do not hold a plumbing contractor's licence. Drainage plumbing work is work that involves the installation, alteration, extension, disconnection, repair or maintenance of underground pipes and other fittings used for carrying wastewater to sewer, or wastewater or other waste to a sewage treatment apparatus.

This licence authorises you to carry out specified drainage plumbing work as well as supervise an apprentice doing that work. However you must do so under the general direction and control of a licensed plumbing contractor.

Please note that this licence does not authorise you to certify that plumbing work complies with the relevant standards. This can only be done by the holder of a Plumbing Contractor's licence.

You may be able to apply for a provisional version of this licence if you hold a plumbing qualification from another country. This provisional licence enables you to work in Western Australia under supervision whilst completing Australian context training and gaining experience in local conditions. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • have the financial and technical ability to competently carry out drainage plumbing work
  • be considered a fit and proper person to hold a licence
  • hold the required qualifications (including migrant gap training if you are a holder of a provisional licence applying for a full licence)
  • submit any required forms
  • pay any required fees.

To be eligible for a provisional licence you must have obtained an Offshore Technical Skills Record that assesses your skills and competency in plumbing against the relevant Australian qualifications or units of competency. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



3 years. 12 months for provisional licence.



Tradesperson?s licence (drainage plumbing)


Tradesperson?s licence (drainage plumbing)


Provisional tradesperson?s licence (drainage plumbing)


Provisional Tradesperson?s licence (drainage plumbing)

Administering agency

Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Building Commission
Plumbers Licensing Board

Act(s) name

Plumbers Licensing Act 1995 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Plumbers Licensing and Plumbing Standards Regulations 2000 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Licensing Officer
Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety
Building Commission
Plumbers Licensing Board

Operating address:
Level 1, Mason Bird Building
303 Sevenoaks Street
Western Australia 6107
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square PO
Western Australia 6850


1300 489 099


07 6251 1501


Building Commission Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.