Security Risk Substances Import / Export Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to import or export security risk substances (SRS) into or out of Western Australia, to or from a country outside Australia. A SRS is a substance that contains more that 45% ammonium nitrate unless it is an explosive, or an aqueous solution.

Your licence will be endorsed for a specific type and quantity of SRS. You will also be required to provide the Agency with an SRS import notice, or SRS export notice before you import or export SRS. You will require additional licences if you intend to store, transport, use or manufacture SRS. Please note that the Agency recommends the use of an accredited dangerous goods consultant to prepare and submit your application.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • 21 years of age or over;
  • Hold a current Dangerous Goods Security Card;
  • Demonstrate a satisfactory level of experience, knowledge and competency in the safe handling, storage and security of the SRS; and
  • Have made adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of the SRS;
  • Submit the required form; and
  • Pay the required fee.

If you are applying as a partnership or a corporation you will need to provide information that adequate arrangements have been made to ensure persons who will have unsupervised access to the SRS possess a Western Australian Dangerous Goods Security Card and authorised as secure employees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.



Administering agency

Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Security Sensitive Ammonium Nitrate) Regulations 2007 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Licensing Enquiries, Dangerous Goods
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Operating address:
Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth
Western Australia 6004
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square PO
Western Australia 6850


08 9358 8001


08 9358 8000

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.