You will require this licence or permit if you intend to perform certain categories of electrical work in the workplace and you do not hold an electrician's licence. These include:
- domestic appliance work (includes stoves)
- disconnect and reconnect work
- disconnect and reconnect plus appliance work
- plumbing work
- plumbing and gas fitting work
- refrigeration and air conditioning mechanic work
- instrument process control technician work.
A Restricted Electrical Licence (REL) authorises you to carry out restricted electrical work on equipment operating at voltages up to 1000V AC (alternating current). It does not authorise you to carry out the installation or alteration of fixed wiring.
Depending on your qualifications and the type of work you intend to do you may be issues a licence or a permit. A permit is identical to a licence, except that conditions as to supervision are more stringent.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this licence or permit you must:
- satisfy the Agency that you have the experience and training required for the specified electrical work
- demonstrate a regular need for electrical work, within the specified work area categories, as part of the primary work function
- ensure the availability of suitable training under the supervision of an appropriately licensed person
- submit the required forms
- pay any required fees.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
Department of Commerce
Electricity Act 1945 (Western Australia)
Electricity (Licensing) Regulations 1991 (Western Australia)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon