Local Registration / Notification of a Food Business - Western Australia

Service summary

You may be required to register with or notify the Council if you intend to use premises to operate a food business. A food business includes any business, enterprise, or activity that involves:

  • The handling of food intended for sale; or
  • The sale of food.

You must register your food business unless it is exempt from registration, in which case you will need to notify the Council of your premises. Exempt businesses include those that:

  • Are conducted solely for charitable or community purposes and prepare non-potentially hazardous foods or foods that, after being appropriately cooked, are served for immediate consumption;
  • Sell certain packaged food;
  • Provide complimentary drinks in conjunction with another kind of business; and
  • Form part of premises registered under the Commonwealth export control legislation.

Premises include:

  • Land (whether or not vacant);
  • The whole or any part of a building, tent, stall or other structure (whether of a permanent or temporary nature);
  • A pontoon; or
  • A vehicle (other than a food transport vehicle while it is engaged in only the transport of food).

Primary production food businesses that do not sell directly to the public do not require this notification or registration.

Please be aware that if your food business undertakes any of the following activities, you will need to apply for state registration instead of this registration:

  • Preparation of food for patients in a public hospital;
  • Dairy primary production, dairy processing or dairy transport;
  • Primary production of seafood or the manufacturing of seafood if it includes bivalve molluscs; or
  • Operate a food business in Kings Park or on Rottnest Island.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Remains in force until cancelled.



Fee per premises, per year.

Additional information

You will require a trade waste permit if your food business produces wastewater containing grease and fat. You will need to ensure that you comply with the conditions of this permit including the installation or upgrade of a grease arrestor.

Administering agency

Shire of Coorow

Act(s) name

Food Act 2008 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Food Regulations 2009 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Health Officer
Shire of Coorow

Operating address:
Main Street
WA 6515
Mailing address:
Coorow, Western Australia 6515


08 9952 0100


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.