Licence to Take Flora for Scientific or Other Prescribed Purposes - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to take protected flora from Crown land for a scientific and other prescribed non-commercial purposes. Flora is defined as any plant (including any wildflower, palm, shrub tree, fern, creeper or vine) and includes any part of a plant, including seeds and spores. All flora that is native to Western Australia is protected. A licence may be issued for any of the following uses:

  • scientific purposes
  • hobby purposes
  • propagation purposes (collecting seeds in order to cultivate protected flora)
  • personal enjoyment (domestic decoration, display or study).

If your licence has been issued for a non-commercial purpose you are prohibited from selling protected fauna. If you intend to sell flora taken from Crown land or private property you instead require a commercial purposes or producers licence. Your licence may require you to pay royalties to the Agency.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • provide details of the purpose for which you intend to collect flora
  • identify the land which you intend to collect flora from
  • obtain the written permission from the relevant Crown Land Manager or other body or authority responsible for the care of the land from which you intend to collect flora
  • complete the required forms
  • pay the licence fee.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


1 year.



Other resources

Approval time

10 working days.

Administering agency

Department of Biosecurity, Conservation and Attractions
Parks and Wildlife Service

Act(s) name

Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Conservation Regulations 1970 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Wildlife Licensing Section
Department of Biosecurity, Conservation and Attractions
Parks and Wildlife Service

Operating address:
Technology Park, Western Precinct
17 Dick Perry Avenue
Kensington, Western Australia 6151
Mailing address:
Bentley DC, Western Australia 6983


08 9219 9831


Parks and Wildlife Service Opens in a new browser window

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.