Transit and Mining Access Entry Permits for Aboriginal Reserves - Western Australia

Service summary

You may require a permit if you intend to undertake certain activities in Aboriginal reserves and communities. The two types of permits available are transit permits and mining access permits. Transit permits are required if you intend to enter and pass through certain Aboriginal reserves and are generally issued on a short-term basis. They usually apply if you intend to either

  • visit or travel through for tourism, recreation or business purposes
  • visit art or cultural centres
  • conduct pre-arranged business with communities.

Mining access permits are required if you intend to:

  • conduct any mining activity, such as surveying and / or marking out of tenements, fossicking, prospecting, exploring and mining
  • travel through to access other mining tenements for prospecting, exploration or mining purposes.

The approval of the specific Aboriginal community you intend to visit may be required before you undertake commercial activities on reserve or community land.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a transit permit, you will need to justify your visit and comply with any community guidelines. To be eligible for a mining access permit, you must gain permission to undertake mining activities. You may require the advice from the Agency on the granting of mining permits in Aboriginal reserves.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the permit.



Most permits are free of charge. However, it should be noted that some Aboriginal communities do levy an entry, camping or activity fee for people intending to visit or remain on a reserve for an extended period (for example: in the Kimberley Region where tourists stay over for fishing activities).

Other resources

Comply About Entry Permits Opens in a new browser window



You can apply for most travel permits online. Please consult the Contact Officer for information on how to apply for a mining access permit.

Administering agency

Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage
Aboriginal Affairs

Act(s) name

Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act 1972 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Aboriginal Affairs Planning Authority Act Regulations 1972 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Permits Officer
Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage
Aboriginal Affairs

Operating address:
Ground Floor
151 Royal St
East Perth
Western Australia 6004
Mailing address:
PO BOX 3153
East Perth, Western Australia 6892


1300 651 077


08 6551 8088

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.