Building Permit - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to conduct building work. The permit must be obtained from the relevant Agency, generally the local government, prior to work commencing.

You must obtain a Certificate of Design Compliance (CDC) if you intend to construct a building or incidental structure. Your CDC must be in an approved form and you must include a statement from your building surveyor that your building will comply with the applicable standard if your building is completed following your current plans and specifications.

The Building Regulations have more information about other details your CDC must include and what your surveyor must do when signing the building certificate.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must:

  • obtain planning approval and any other required approvals, including approval for installation of a sewage treatment apparatus (if required)
  • provide a certificate of design compliance for the building or structure signed by a building surveyor
  • provide each technical certificate signed by a specialist that the building surveyor has relied on to sign the certificate of design compliance
  • provide a copy of the plans and specifications for your building or structure
  • notify the Heritage Council of Western Australia (if relevant)
  • provide details of the builder who will carry out the work
  • pay any applicable building services levies
  • provide any other information required on the application form
  • pay the application fee.

There may be additional requirements before approval is granted to your application. These requirements will vary dependent on factors such as the future purpose of the building or any other requirements dictated by the relevant permit authority.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


The relevant Agency has a limited period of time in which to approve or reject your application. For certified applications this period is 10 business days and for uncertified applications the period is 25 business days.



The minimum fee is $95. Further fees may apply. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Additional information

If you intend on conducting building work that includes building or replacing a dividing fence, you may be required to give notice and enter into an agreement with any adjoining owners or obtain a court order.

Administering agency

Shire of Cunderdin

Act(s) name

Building Act 2011 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Building Regulations 2012 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Building Surveyor, Building Control Services
Shire of Cunderdin

Operating address:
Lundy Avenue
WA 6407
Mailing address:
PO BOX 100
Cunderdin, Western Australia 6407


08 9635 2700

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.