Explosives Supply Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to supply authorised explosives to other individuals or companies. For example, you, your company or partnership will need this licence if you are:

  • manufacturers of explosives in Western Australia and intend to sell the product in Australia
  • a firearms or sporting goods store selling ammunition propellant or black powder
  • a store selling small quantities of blasting explosives and detonators to shotfirers
  • a hobby store selling model rocket motors where Net Explosive Quantities (NEQ) of propellant is greater than 5g
  • selling any other explosives even if by consignment only.

This licence is not required for the sale of any of the following:

  • unrestricted explosives such as sparklers, party poppers and Christmas crackers
  • cartridges for safety devices
  • cartridges for nail guns
  • emergency devices
  • ammunition (which requires a different licence).

You may not require this licence if your sale or supply of explosives is already authorised under another licence you hold, such as an import or transport licence.

Please note that the sale of authorised explosives to overseas customers will require an Explosives Export Licence. Other licences may also be required if you will be storing, transporting, or using the explosives yourself.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age;
  • Hold a Dangerous Goods Security Card;
  • Have the necessary qualifications, experience and knowledge relating to explosives;
  • Have a legitimate reason for selling explosives;
  • Have adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage of the explosives;
  • Have made arrangements to ensure that only trusted and competent employees have access to the explosives;
  • Submit the required application form; and
  • Pay the required fee.

Ongoing separate storage requirements will apply. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Five years.





The Agency recommends you contact an accredited dangerous goods consultant and work with them to develop and submit your application.

Approval time

20 working days for most applications.

Administering agency

Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Licensing Enquiries, Dangerous Goods
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Operating address:
Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth
Western Australia 6004
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square PO
Western Australia 6850


08 9358 8001


08 9358 8000

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.