Licence to Take or Keep Fauna - Educational or Public Purposes - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to take or keep fauna for display for educational or public purposes. To take means to kill, capture or harm. Fauna means any animal indigenous to Australia, and any animal that periodically migrates to and lives in Australia and includes any animal declared to be fauna by the Agency. The public purpose must be an approved one, which includes:

  • the gift or sale to any approved school, hospital, institute, university or other teaching institution or research centre
  • the gift or sale to any approved museum, zoo, wildlife farm, tourist centre, wildlife sanctuary or wildlife club
  • the gift, hire, lease, or sale to an approved person for the purpose of filming fauna.

Licences are not normally issued for the keeping of threatened species. Your licence will specify the species of animal you are authorised to keep or take; the greatest number of each species that may be taken and what parts of Western Australia and the period of time in which the fauna may be taken or kept.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • provide details of any previous convictions relating to wildlife
  • submit any required forms
  • pay any required fees.

Requirements differ depending on whether you seek to take or keep fauna. If you are applying to take fauna you must provide substantial details of the circumstances, methods and purpose of your activity.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As indicated on the licence.



Wildlife displays licence for 1 class.


Wildlife displays licence for 2 classes (maximum).

Administering agency

Department of Parks and Wildlife

Act(s) name

Wildlife Conservation Act 1950 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Wildlife Conservation Regulations 1970 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Enquiries - Avian/Birds, Displaying Fauna, Wildlife Licensing Section
Department of Parks and Wildlife

Mailing address:
Locked Bag 30
Bentley Delivery Centre
Western Australia 6983


08 9219 9835


08 9219 8242

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.