Permit to Conduct Activities in the Swan and Canning River - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this permit if you intend to conduct certain activities, works or commercial acts in the Swan River Trust Development Control Area. An example of a permit application for commercial activities and works might be:

  • A local government undertaking works valued at less than $50,000; or
  • A person intending to operate a commercial mobile confectionery vending business.

Others activities that may require a permit include:

  • Signage;
  • Repairs and maintenance;
  • Emergency works;
  • Erosion control;
  • Temporary structures;
  • Fire hazard reduction;
  • Any commercial acts and activities;
  • Bank disturbance;
  • Digging in the river bed;
  • Taking worms or other invertebrates;
  • Removing or trimming trees or other vegetation;
  • Launching vessels outside a permitted launching place; or
  • Organised events.

The Development Control Area includes the waters of the Swan and Canning rivers and adjoining parks and recreation reservations. It extends upstream from the Fremantle Traffic Bridge to Moondyne Brook on the Avon River, to the Lower Diversion Dam on the Helena River, along Southern River to the Allen Road crossing and along the Canning River to its confluence with Stinton Creek. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit, and to assist the efficient assessment of applications, you must:

  • Submit the completed application form, which includes the written consent of the landowner;
  • Provide a detailed written description and a map relating to the location and nature of the proposed works, acts or activities;
  • Submit any additional information requested by the Agency; and
  • Pay the relevant fees.

It is your responsibility to obtain any other necessary approvals or licences required to carry out the proposed activity. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding specific eligibility requirements.


As indicated on the permit.



Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Apply Application for Permit - PDF Opens a PDF in a new browser window

Application for Commercial Activity Approval - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted for commercial activity approval.

Other resources

Approval time

Approval time is between 1 to 3 months. This length may be longer if the development is significant and requires public consultation.

Administering agency

Department of Biosecurity, Conservation and Attractions
Parks and Wildlife Service

Act(s) name

Swan and Canning Rivers Management Act 2006 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Swan and Canning Rivers Management Regulations 2007 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Rivers and Estuaries Division
Department of Biosecurity, Conservation and Attractions
Parks and Wildlife Service

Operating address:
Technology Park, Western Precinct
17 Dick Perry Avenue
Kensington, Western Australia 6151
Mailing address:
Bentley DC, Western Australia 6983


08 9219 9000

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.