Commercial Mooring Site Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to install and / or use a commercial mooring site in waters that are not part of a mooring control area. This licence enables you to install and maintain moorings within a defined area. A mooring is a structure or an apparatus that is set in a permanent manner to which a vessel or floating object may be secured.

Please note that if you intend to install a mooring in an area that is a mooring control area you will instead need to apply for a mooring registration instead. This requires a separate application process. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Specify the locality of the proposed mooring;
  • Provide details of the vessel proposed to be moored;
  • Submit the required form; and
  • Pay the required fee.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.

Other resources

Administering agency

Department of Transport
Transport Services
Marine Safety

Act(s) name

Western Australian Marine Act 1982 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Mooring Regulations 1998 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Moorings Officer, Moorings
Department of Transport
Transport Services
Marine Safety

Mailing address:
PO BOX 402
Fremantle, Western Australia 6959




08 94311027


08 94311019

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.