You will require this approval if you operate a special retail shop and intend to open beyond the normal shopping hours. This approval allows you to trade between 6am and 11.30pm every day of the year. Special retail shops are shops considered necessary for convenience or emergency or offer weekend recreational goods, and include:
- Newsagencies and bookshops;
- Garden nurseries;
- Hardware and home improvement shops;
- Video shops;
- Art and craft shops;
- Souvenir and duty free shops;
- Shops at sports venues;
- Boating shops;
- Motor vehicle spare parts shops; and
- Shops at international standard hotels.
You will not require any approval to trade outside normal trading hours if your business is:
- Located north of the 26th parallel;
- A restaurant or cafe;
- A take-away food shop;
- A veterinary clinic;
- A transport terminal or station where public passenger transport services are running;
- Part of a show held by an incorporated agricultural or horticultural society; or
- Part of a bazaar or fair the proceeds of which are intended for religious, charitable or public purposes.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this certificate you must:
- Be the operator of a shop which fits the definition of a special retail shop; and
- Submit the required form.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
No fees are required.
Department of Commerce
Retail Trading Hours Act 1987 (Western Australia)
Retail Trading Hours Regulations 1988 (Western Australia)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon