You will require this registration if you intend to operate a non-government school or provide an educational programme for children. Your school may be registered as providing one or more of the following types of education:
- Education for the early education period (the time before the pre-compulsory education period);
- Education for the pre-compulsory education period (from the beginning of the year in which the child reaches the age of 4 years and 6 months until the end of the year in which the child reaches the age of 5 years and 6 months); or
- Education for the compulsory education period (from the beginning of the year in which the child reaches the age of 6 years and 6 months until the end of the year in which the child reaches the age of 17 or satisfies the minimum requirements for graduation from secondary education).
You may register your school as a member of an approved system of schools or as a non-system school. The requirements for registration as a system school are covered by a system agreement entered into between the Minister for Education and the approved system.
Please note that you will not require this registration if you intend to provide a community kindergarten. If you intend to run a community kindergarten you must apply for registration as a community kindergarten. You will not require this registration to provide a supplementary educational programme to a particular child provided that that programme meets certain conditions.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.
A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.
To be eligible for this registration, or to substantially change an existing registration, you must first have obtained an advance determination that your proposed or changed school will not have a detrimental effect on an existing school. This must be applied for at least 18 months before the date from which you intend your school to be registered.
To be eligible for this registration, once you have obtained an advance determination you must:
- Submit your application in writing at least 6 months before the day from which you wish to be registered;
- Specify the kind of education you will provide;
- Specify the location of all the premises to be used by the school;
- Provide any other relevant information;
- Provide a statement in support of the application by the governing body of the school system (if you are applying to register as a system school);
- Demonstrate that you will provide a satisfactory standard of education;
- Demonstrate that you will provide satisfactory levels of care for the children;
- Ensure that the members of the governing body are fit and proper persons to operate a school;
- Ensure that the constitution of the governing body of your school is satisfactory;
- Ensure that your school will meet regulatory standards;
- Submit the required forms; and
- Pay the required fee.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.
A period of 1 to 5 years, as specified on the certificate of registration.
Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.
You must obtain an Advance Determination at least 18 months before applying.
Department of Education Services
School Education Act 1999 (Western Australia)
The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service
(ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance
To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments
make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the
information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.
The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice,
nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained,
the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain
appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material
provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.
To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments,
their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including
without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information
which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences
of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon