Dealer's Plates (Trade Plates for Recreational Vessels) - Western Australia

Service summary

You may require these plates if you intend to carry on a business of:

  • Manufacturing vessels
  • Buying or selling new or used vessels
  • Repairing vessels
  • Buying or selling trade articles used on vessels.

You may apply for Dealer's Plates for the transfer, manufacture, alteration, repair, testing, sale or demonstration of a vessel. The plates, when attached to a vessel, allow you to use it in navigable waters without it being otherwise registered.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for these plates you must:

  • Submit any required forms
  • Pay any required fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


12 months.



Issue of first set of plates.


For 12 month renewal of a set of plates: $270; and

For 12 month renewal of each additional set of plates: $26.70.


Additional set of plates.



Dealer's Plate Application - Please consult directly with the Contact Officer for a copy of this document.

Administering agency

Department of Transport
Transport Services
Marine Safety

Act(s) name

Shipping and Pilotage Act 1967 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Navigable Waters Regulations 1958 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Enquiries, Marine Operations
Department of Transport
Transport Services
Marine Safety

Mailing address:
PO BOX 402
Fremantle, Western Australia 6959


1300 863 308

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.