Fireworks Contractor Licence - Western Australia

Service summary

You will require this licence if you intend to possess, purchase, supply and use fireworks as part of a fireworks display covered under a Fireworks Event Permit. This licence is also required in order to apply for a Fireworks Event Permit.

This licence will also allow you to manufacture, store and transport fireworks for use in connection with theatrical entertainment.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Be 21 years of age or over;
  • Hold a current Dangerous Goods Security Card;
  • Hold a current Fireworks Operator Licence;
  • Be able to demonstrate a genuine need for this licence;
  • Demonstrate the satisfactory level of training, experience, knowledge and competency to be able to conduct the duties of a fireworks contractor;
  • Provide details and plans of adequate arrangements for the safe and secure handling and storage and transport of the fireworks;
  • Have developed and be able to apply an Explosives Management Plan, including a security plan;
  • Have an insurance policy to a minimum of $5 million;
  • Submit the application form; and
  • Pay the relevant fee.

For a partnership or body corporate, you must also provide the following:

  • Evidence that at least one individual who is concerned in the management of, or employed by the body or partnership, holds a current Fireworks Operator Licence;
  • Evidence of training or competency to demonstrate that that individual is able to conduct the duties of a fireworks contractor; and
  • Details of the individual who is responsible for the safety and security of the fireworks to be stored and used under the licence with details of any infringements relating to dangerous goods or explosives, and any convictions, findings of guilt of pending charges for offences in Australia since his or her Dangerous Goods Security Card or equivalent was issued.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.



5 years.



Administering agency

Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Act(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety Act 2004 (Western Australia)

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007 (Western Australia)

Contact details

Licensing Enquiries, Dangerous Goods
Department of Mines and Petroleum
Resources Safety

Operating address:
Mineral House
100 Plain Street
East Perth
Western Australia 6004
Mailing address:
Locked Bag 14
Cloisters Square PO
Western Australia 6850


08 9358 8001


08 9358 8000

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.