Restricted liquor permit - Queensland

Service summary

A restricted liquor permit is issued for non-proprietary clubs that wish to trade for up to a maximum of 10 hours per week or 25 hours per week. This permit is most appropriate for clubs which operate on a seasonal basis and/or share the premises with other organisations.

Trading hours

Trading hours are nominated by the club and endorsed on the permit. These hours are not transferable.

Note: The cost of the permit depends on the number of months and the number of trading hours per week.

Trading conditions

If you hold a restricted liquor permit, you may sell liquor for consumption on the premises to:

  • members
  • members of another club with formal reciprocal rights
  • guests of a member or reciprocal member (in the member's company).

In addition to the above, a club that is an RSL or services club may sell liquor to:

  • an RSL honorary member and their guest(s) providing they are accompanied by the member; and
  • a defence member and their guest(s) providing they are accompanied by the member.

You must keep 2 registers:

  • a register of members with subscription details
  • a register of all members of reciprocal clubs or guests who visit the club.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.


Part 1, division 4 of the Liquor Act 1992 set out licence exemptions for certain activities.

Read more about exempt businesses.


Must have


The club must have a constitution that complies with the club's rules (the Liquor Act 1992 contains specific requirements that must be provided for in a club's rules).

Non-proprietary club

Only non-proprietary club may apply. To find out if your club is a non-proprietary club, check the liquor definitions.

Fit and proper person

All liquor licensees must meet the criteria outlined in Guideline 07: Fit and proper or suitable person.

Might need

RSA training

If the service or supply of liquor is provided only by volunteers, you must ensure that there is a person with current responsible service of alcohol (RSA) training on the premises to supervise the volunteer staff.

Approved manager

Certain licence types require an individual licensee or an approved manager to be on site or reasonably available during ordinary trading hours and extended trading hours.

For more information read Guideline 43: Approved managers.


Permits can be issued for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 6 months. There are 2 trading hour categories available:

  1. up to 10 hours per week; or
  2. 10 - 25 hours per week.


All fees are reviewed on 1 July every year and generally adjusted in line with CPI. The OLGR credit card payment authority form can be used for credit card payments of all OLGR fees.


Application for new restricted liquor permit: Sale of liquor not more than 10 hours/week (i.e. for a 3 month period)


Application for new restricted liquor permit: Sale of liquor more than 10 hours/week but less than 25 hours/week (i.e. for a 3 month period)


An application other than in relation to the tribunal, not previously mentioned in schedule 1


Approval of a changed risk-assessed management plan (RAMP)


To apply for a new permit you must submit the following to the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR):

  • Form 8: Application for new restricted liquor permit
  • a risk-assessed management plan (RAMP)
  • a copy of your club's constitution
  • the prescribed fee.

Note: The average processing time is 8 weeks for a new restricted liquor permit.


A guide has been developed to help you to apply for renewal of a restricted liquor permit. The guide is located at the end (Part C) of Form 15: Application for renewal of a restricted liquor permit application.

Transfer details

This permit cannot be transferred.

Additional information

The holder of a restricted liquor permit cannot:

  • sell liquor for consumption off the premises (takeaway liquor)
  • apply for a gaming machine licence
  • apply for approved extended trading hours.

Compliance for licensees

All licensees under the Liquor Act 1992 must comply with the conditions of their respective licences.

Read more about compliance for liquor licensees.

Trading hours

Read more about trading hours for liquor and gaming licensees.

Administering agency

Department of Justice and Attorney-General
Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation
Licensing Division

Act(s) name

Liquor Act 1992 (Queensland)

Regulation(s) name

Liquor Regulation 2002 (Queensland)

Contact details

Department of Justice and Attorney-General
Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation
Licensing Division

33 Charlotte Street
Brisbane, Queensland 4000
Locked Bag 180
City East, Queensland 4002

Phone: 13 QGOV or 137468

Fax: 07 3872 0998

Supporting information


The information contained on the Australian Business Licence and Information Service (ABLIS) web site, or via packages or other sources is intended for general guidance only.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments make no representations or warranties (expressed or implied) in relation to the information, including its accuracy, currency or completeness.

The business information provided does not constitute professional or legal advice, nor is the use of any third party resource an endorsement of the information contained, the associated organisation, product or service. It is recommended that you obtain appropriate professional and /or independent legal advice to ensure that the material provided here is relevant to your particular circumstances.

To the full extent permitted by law the Federal, State, Territory and Local Governments, their employees and agents do not accept any liability for any reason, including without limitation, liability in negligence, to any person for the general information which is provided herein, or in respect of anything, including the consequences of anything done, or not done, by any such person in whole or partial reliance upon the information.