You will require this registration if you intend to operate a business that makes or sells food for human consumption. This includes any premises (such as a restaurant, cafe, home kitchen, farm stall or mobile food vehicle) where food is prepared, manufactured, processed or treated, stored, handled, served and / or supplied for sale.
You will also be required to register your business if you sell food by retail or wholesale. Some food businesses are exempt from registration requirements, these include:
- Vending machines that only sell non-hazardous foods;
- Food vans that are registered in another state or territory;
- Food transport businesses that do not retail food; and
- A business that sells food in a closed package that is not hazardous.
A food business is also exempt from registration requirements if it handles or sells food and all the food is either:
- Non-potentially hazardous and not contained in a closed package; or
- Sold, straight after thorough cooking, for immediate consumption; and
- The food business handles or sells food during no more than 5 periods a year, and each period when it sells food is no longer than 3 days;
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.