You will require this registration if you operate an Australian commercial passenger or cargo vessel, including:
- Australian owned ships
- small craft that are wholly owned or solely operated by Australian residents or Australian nationals
- ships that are on demise charter to Australian based operators.
A demise charter is an arrangement for the hiring of a vessel where no administration or technical maintenance is included as part of the agreement. Please note that:
- provisional registration is also available
- if your ship is a commercial vessel over 24 metres in tonnage length then you must fly the Australian Red Ensign
- other registered ships may fly either the Australian National Flag or the Red Ensign.
Ships less than 24 metres in tonnage length, Government ships, fishing vessels and pleasure craft do not need to be registered. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.