You will require this licence if you intend to play copyrighted music in your business.
This licence covers the use of any of the following devices for the broadcast of background music:
- background music systems, including CD, tape player, radio, music services, or each zone or channel of a multi-channel device
- radios or TV sets or large screens
- audio or video juke boxes.
This licence will apply to you if you operate any of the following:
- hotel, club, motel, tavern or bar;
- restaurant or cafe;
- retail outlet;
- health or beauty service;
- fitness centre or trainer;
- theatre or cinema;
- corporate or business workplace;
- school, university or other tertiary institution;
- dance school or eisteddfod organiser;
- community band, choir or performance group;
- hall, ice rinks, function or sports centre; or
- other services to the public.
Please note that there are different licensing regimes in Australia regarding the reproduction and playing of music and music videos that are protected by copyright:
- licensing in relation to the composition, or musical work, is administered by the Australasian Performing Right Association / Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society, (APRA AMCOS)
- licensing in relation to the recording (for example, the CD or music in other formats) is administered by the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Limited (PPCA) and the Australian Record Industry Association Limited (ARIA).
This licence covers the composition only. Please note that depending on the nature of your activities you may also be required to hold a licence with the PPCA or ARIA. It is recommended that you discuss your licensing needs with all three Agencies prior to applying.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.