You will require this certificate if you hold an overseas balloon flight crew authorisation and intend to undertake that activity within Australia. This certificate is intended for flight crew visiting Australia for a short period.
A certificate of validation has effect as:
- A balloon flight crew licence that is the equivalent of the authorisation
- A balloon class endorsement that is the equivalent of the authorisation
- A balloon flight crew rating that gives authorisation equivalent to that which is held overseas.
Once you are a holder of this certificate, which is equivalent to a flight crew licence, you can apply for the following balloon flight crew ratings:
- A flight instructor (balloon) rating; and
- A balloon grade of night Visual Flight Rules (VFR) rating.
Please note that if you intend to operate in Australia for more than three months then it is recommended that you apply for a Balloon Flight Crew Licence. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.